Protecting your mental health should be paramount to run a successful, prosperous hair salon. According to research from mental health charity MIND, more than half of adults (60%) and over two thirds of young people (68%) said their mental health got worse during the lockdown. According to the Mental Health Foundation, a staggering 70 million work days are lost each year due to mental health problems in the UK, costing businesses approximately £2.4 billion per year.
Looking after your mental health can result in improved productivity and smooth running of your business, fewer days of sick leave, better engagement with your staff and a good work/life balance.
What does mental health refer to?
Mental health issues can range from feeling mildly unhappy to common problems such as anxiety and depression, or more severe diagnoses such as bipolar disorder.
Look out for signs that you may be experiencing mental health problems. For example, you may be:
• Unable to concentrate and easily distracted• Irritable and aggressive• Less talkative and avoiding social activities• Tired and/or tearful• Unable to control your emotions• More prone to drinking alcohol• Physically ill, for example, with headaches or fatigueOverwhelmed and unable to perform to your usual standards
Supporting your mental health
Good mental health at work and good management go hand-inhand as there is strong evidence that workplaces with high levels of mental wellbeing are more productive. Most people who experience mental health problems are able to continue working successfully.
Here are some tips on how you can make mental health wellbeing in your business a top priority.
• Take regular breaks -a change of pace benefits your mental health.
• Seek help -ensure you visit various sources of help and support that different organisations and charities have available.
• Eat well –a good healthy diet will not only be good for your body but also help your mental health.
• Manage intake – drink less alcohol, drink more water.
• Getting active – doing plenty of exercises is not only good for your body but benefits your mental health too.
• Connect with people – sometimes, just acknowledging your feelings by saying them out loud can help.
NHBF Members have access to resources such as:
• Employment support via the legal helpline
• Updated blog post on a variety of subjects including dealing with stress: nhbf.co.uk/dealing-with-astressed
• Health-assured app through NHBF rewards
The National Hair & Beauty Federation (NHBF) is the Uk’s largest trade body for businesses working in the hair, beauty and barbering industries. As part of its work, it provides business support, advice and backup to salons.
Join the NHBF before the end of October 2021 and quote HJO25 to get £25 off your membership fee.
Find out more: nhbf.co.uk